Buscar este blog

domingo, 6 de abril de 2014

Hitch'hiking to nowhere.


After a week in Belgrade, I felt strong enough to start my trip towards Kosovo. I wasn't in a hurry, so I just wanted to go somewhere closer to the boarder, or even cross it the same day if I was lucky enough.

I had planned to go to Nis, the third largest town in Serbia, and I was doing good. It was 2 pm, and I was just 30 km away, and in a toll place, a really good place to get a lift. It was a cold and rainy day, so I was just looking forward to getting to Nis, look for a hostel and take it easy.
But I don't know why, I decided to go through a small road, without big cities at all, finishing in a town called Kraljevo. I decided I wanted to go to Novi Pazar, because a friend of mine was born there and I just wanted to send her a picture. It was "only" 200 km to get to that city, where there were no hostels. And again, it was raining as hell.

Nevertheless, I had made my mind up, so I got into 5 different cars, until I got to Kraljevo. It was already 5 pm, and starting to get darker in that town in the middle of the real Balkans. After waiting for almost 30 minutes, a guy offered me a lift to Raska. On the way to Novi Pazar.
He told me he was going to Kosovska Mitrovica. Into the Kosovo boarder. So I gave up to go to Novi Pazar, and I went into Kosovo instead.

On the boarder, they didn't even ask for my ID. But I was already in a new country. It didn't feel so, though. Since there was Serbian flags everywhere. I was told that in the north part of Kosovo, the population is still Serbian, and so was my driver. A really nice one, that helped me a lot even though he was coming from the hospital because his sister in law was about to die.

We arrived to Mitrovica, and he offered me to sleep in a hotel he owned for 10 euros, but I wanted to experience a real adventure that night, and I declined the offer. He gave me a lift to the city, and he explained that the south part of the town was Albanian, and both, the Serbian and the Albanian poplation, were separated by the river.
So, he showed me where the bridge was, and a
sked me again to not cross it, and better stay in the Serbian side. I did as he told me, even though I didn't like the Serbian part. It seemed creepy. The cars had no plates, a lot of people in the street yelling to each other. Shops were open, but they were dark, and dirty, and didn't look really fresh.

I found myself in the middle of nowhere, at 10 pm, without a place to sleep, and I wasn't willing to sleep in a park in that town.

What to do?

This is how the city looked like. It's not my picture, I didn't dare to take my camera out.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario