Buscar este blog

jueves, 22 de mayo de 2014

From Cluj Napoca to somewhere in Ukraine.



The day began with a really nice ride. In a horse cart.

As I had experienced two days before, hitch-hiking in Romania was quite easy. 

My plan was get to Sighetu Marmatiei, and cross the border to Ukraine from this small town. 

I got to Baia Mare after four rides, but I got off in the wrong place, and I waited for more than 30 minutes until a driver game me a lift to the edge of the town. 

Once there I waited 5 minutes until a car stopped. They were going to Sighetu Marmitei, ugly 60 km away, but the road was, yet really beautiful, quite slow and we arrived an hour later. Once in the boarder, the driver asked me to pay him for a ride. When I told him I had no money, he didn't get mad as I was told it could happen. 

I crossed the boarder on foot. They didn't ask a lot, and I entered a new country, and for the first time on this trip I got a stamp in my passport. 

I was in Bila Tserkva. A really small town, with no traffic at all. My plan to get to Lviv that day seemed impossible, but I tried to get as close as I could. 

I got into a really old truck, but I only advanced 5 km. Then a bus stopped. I told them I had no money, but still they let me in. Nobody spoke English, I had no maps, and the bus had the signs in Cyrillic, so I had no idea where I was going. 

One of the people in the bus felt sorry for me, and when he saw me eating a tomato, he gave me some bread. I was so thankful. But when he got off the bus, he gave me some money. He gave me a lesson. I'm sure I had more money than him in my bank account. But his heart was way bigger than mine. I learnt what I already knew. The less you have, the more generous you become. 

I was told that I should get off in Mukachevo in order to get to Lviv the day after. I did so, and I was in a city I knew nothing about, in a rainy evening, and it was already dark. 

I asked a guy for hotels, and he came with me all around the town looking for the cheapest one. I tried to get a night for free in exchange of work in all the places I asked, but it didn't work out, so I end up sleeping in Delfin hotel. I got a really big room for just 15€. 

I got a really nice rest, and I walked around the city a bit before going to the road, heading to Lviv. I liked this city so much, I was surprised about the colorful churches and the cheap prices of the food in the supermarkets. 
The trip to Lviv was also easy. I went in a truck the whole way, but he dropped me off 5 km away from Lviv, in the middle of the highway. It was raining so hard, and I didn't want to walk the whole way, but I thought it was going to be really hard to get a lift. 
Nevertheless, I waited no more than a minute when a car stopped. The driver was Olga. A really nice Ukrainian woman who was the best driver I had so far, and I didn't know yet, but also the last one in Europe. 

She dropped me off in the very center of Lviv, and she introduced me her daughter Sophi, who was the best guide I could ever asked for.










No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario