Buscar este blog

domingo, 8 de junio de 2014

Missing a flight.


I knew it was a matter of time I was going to miss a flight some day. I always arrive to the airports when they are closing doors, but I had never been late.

A couple of weeks ago, for the first (and hopefully last) time in my life, I missed a flight.

But this time was not my fault.

My plane was departing from Fort Lauderdale airport on Saturday the 24th, at 7am. I was staying in Miami Beach, which is like 2 hours away. I decided to spend the night in the airport so I made sure I was on time to catch the flight. But as the memorial day was going on in Miami Beach, everything was so slow.
The last train from Miami to the airport was at 10pm, and I went to the bus stop before 8pm. From the bus stop to the train station, it takes between 30 and 45 minutes. So I had plenty of time. But the bus showed up at 9:30, I waited for it more than two hours. And by the time I arrived to the train station, the train was gone.

The first one in the morning was arriving to the airport at 6:15 am, 45 minutes before my flight. So I went to a park close by, and I slept for a few hours, but I didn't get a good rest, since I was opening my eyes anytime I heard anything.

Finally I took the train, and I got to the airport, but it was too late, and they didn't let me go through the control. I was afraid about the cost of a new ticket for the day after, but the lady was so nice and she offered two options. I could book the ticket for 50$, or I could let it be on standby, and if there were available places I could take one for free. I didn't pay, and I was lucky enough nobody travels on the Mother's day, and I could take my flight to Trinidad and Tobago.

I left the United States with a lot of good memories. I'll come back for sure!

Flight details. 
Fort Lauderdale-Port of Spain.
Distance: 2600 km.
Duration: 3:30 hours.
Price: 90$. One way. Bought 30 weeks in advance.
Company: JetBlue.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario